Thursday, August 19, 2010

On The Spot Interview: Jon Wayne And The Pain

My late night facebook chat interview with Jon of Jon Wayne And The Pain.



Me- So Jon how did you get started in music?

Jon- I started taking guitar lessons when i was 9 and first played songs by the doors and other rock and roll classics like stairway to heaven and other top 40 picks. Love me two times was the first song I sang in front of people

Me- Nice man. I've seen interviews were you talk about being a former addict how does it influance your music and do you have any advice for the peoples out there trying to get clean?

Jon- Being a recovering drug addict does have a big influence on the music. The inspiration i once got from those drugs turned out to be the thing that nearly took my life and ultimately left me uninspired. Now that i look back on it, the main thing that helped me get clean was seeing that I didnt have to live that life anymore if I didnt want to. I saw other people who had similar stories to me change their life through taking different actions and gaining contact with a power greater than themselves.

Me- Some pretty strong words of inspiration. What is it that you like most about music?

Jon- I like how, when the Im feeling either our music or someone else's music. I can leave the surface of the earth and find myself completely content in the present moment. I have found that being in the present moment is the most wonderful place to be, even if things appear to be going bad. I have no control over the past or future, but have complete control over my life in the here and now. Music has brought me to that place more than anything else

Me- I hear you on alot of that. Do you still see racistism is a problem today?

Jon- Not as much in the groups that i surround myself with usually. But, when we play in smaller communties, that have been extremely sheltered from other cultures and races i do see it more. I dont respond well to Racist people. I usually loose my composure and say something that I regret. So i usually turn the other way and leave a conversation if It gets a racist tone to it

Me- What was the major thoughts behind your first record? I've listened to it many times. Theres alot of great tracks on it and tracks that make you think. A couple that I think alot of people can compare to there own lives.

Jon- Yeah Im glad you can relate to it. I think that having a struggle in your life and moving past that struggle is something that a lot of people can relate to. Even if it hasnt been drugs or alcohol, we have all had tough parts in our lives and being able to move past it is a unifying theme.

Me- So Jon do you have any other hobbys than music?

Jon- Yeah, I really enjoy Longboarding around the neighborhoods and chillin at home here in Uptown Minneapolis. We're on the road so much that its just nice to not be in a moving vehicle. I also enjoy fishing, but dont make it out very often.

Me- What did you change on your new record what was the major influence behind it? How was recording it?

Jon- We had progressed more as a band when we we went into the studio for our latest album and had more of a complete idea of what we wanted than on the last album. My personal influence of most of the songs had come from me getting excited about life again. Getting back in the swing of living, realizing that life doesnt have to be a series of self inflicted pains. The recording process was tedious, but we ended up getting a pretty good album out of it. Im altogether pleased with the outcome of our new effort.

Me- I wanna personally thank you for doing this interview, Do you have anything you want to say to your fans/peoples out there?

Jon- We have found so much support from our fans that we will keep up the hard work. You people have made it worth while to play all these shows in all these cities. We wouldn't be Shit without you. Thank you for everything. If you believe in us, help us spread our music to people who have never heard it.

Check out their Myspace at

Also check out the bands website at

No comments:

Post a Comment