Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Interview: KnowledgeBorn07

My interview with Knowledgeborn07. I've been a fan since I was a kid. He released a new album for free this year so naturally I had to interview him.


How did you get your start with music? When I was a kid we were the only house on the block with a basketball hoop. Neighbors from all around would throw games in our back yard....bust out the gold spray painted ghetto blasters ....people carving jordan and nike symbols in their hair and blaze some Rob Base...Run DMC...all the good stuff while us younger kids imitated ...tryed to jump in...then eventually just watched and rapped.....When I would go to school I would rap on the playground to my friends and the girls of course...then around junior high one of my friends had a little project studio in his basement where he recorded punk songs. We dug the beastie boys...RATM dropped Freedom....it was on from there...........

Whats been your biggest influance? My biggest influence in life are my kids. If I didn't have them I would be a sad MOFO...haha...I am a sad MOFO but...."I got my kids" ....sorta........nah but family is a huge influence...not only my own but just families and seeing that connection of love and compassion.........also culture influences me......any kinda of art....creativity....life....love....definatly other peoples music...Music has shaped me into the person I am today for the most part.

Whats your music writing process like? Sometimes I write a paragraph of how I'm feeling at that moment...i put it away....it eventually makes its way back to me when I'm blocked and i try to form it into a song......other times I pick up the guitar....find a melody on one string.....figure out the chords....sstrum and see what comes out.....write it down....get a ruff recording...then it my transform into something good...or take a back seat in which I only bust it out when some friends are over and I laugh in embaressement. Other times someone will send me a tune and I'll sit and write to it. Or I'll just go into the studio and record some random stuff...write stuff on the spot and perform it. It all really depends. Everyday is a new adventure in writing and I hope that never stops. Countertops....napkins....boxes....smartphones.....my hands...or i'll call someones voicemail and leave a message of a melody in hope that it won't get lost....

How do you feel about the current state the music business is in? I love it! I think there is so much good music out there and its just an endless see of new bands out there. Music makes me high! It's not a competition to me its a koalescence.

What are you drinking? hmmmm.....last night I drank Svedka and Grapefruit juice with a splash of lemon gatoraid....that was pretty tasty actually and gives you a little boost...haha....I like Scotch on the rocks brother.....straight to the point...and micro brews.......

Whats been your best moment in music? I think my best moment was recording this last album and collaborating with some great people/artists.

How do you feel about mainstream music? I like Lady Gaga.....but not until I saw her interview.......

I see you callab with alot of artists. Who have you liked collabing with the most so far? My favorite artist that I have colaborated with so far besides Johnny Cosmic would have to be Zack Walters of 3rd Alley. Dude's just a bad mofo.

Cosmic Knowledge is one of my favorite albums of 2010! What was the major message for the album? The major message was that it doesn't matter where you come from or who you are ...we are all the same at the end of the day when the lights go out.....it was an album thrown out into the wild web like a message in a bottle floating in an open sea.......sunshines and storms ....regardless....just hoping someone will find that bottle(album) at the time in their life when they need it most and it can help them thru their own struggles because I was bleeding in that album......everything that has gone on during that recording process was seeping out of me....but thats how an album should be....heartfelt and true....sometime I felt like my guts were being tornout but now im healed and stronger.......The message inside that bottle is different for everyone that desides to grab it and open it and actually give it a whirl....it's for everyone......

Whats the next move? Next move is grab some Frankies Ribs tonight...hahah.....nah ....just trying to get that free album (www.knowledgeborn07.com) into as many hands as I can while moving forward with music and expressing myself musically.....i'm working on my next album and also have a collaboration album in the works with some friends of our old band Roots of Kreation and some guys from the legendary Ways to be Worse crew....so look for that ......The art work was done by chris dyer....an amazing artist from Brazil....there is a documentary coming out about him and one of our songs off the album with be on that documentary so stay tuned and check out http://www.positivecreationsmovie.com/ .............Peace and Blessings......


KnowledgeBorn07 - 27 Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment