Friday, August 20, 2010

Interview: Dan Sherrill

Interview with solo singer/songwriter Dan Sherrill hailing from Wyoming. Dan's shared the stage with so many bands/artists it would take half a page to list them out. (Note: This is one of the first interviews I wrote out so the questions are kinda on the short side.)


So Dan how did you get your start in music? My mom is a long time musician/music teacher (she still plays piano/organ for wedding, church, etc.) So I got into music at an early age (voice and piano right away). Then in 5th grade, I started the good ol’ 5th grade band program playing the trumpet, and still actively play it today. Guitar came a few years later in 7th grade or so, and I haven’t looked back yet with the axe..

Whos has been your biggest influences in music? I’d have to say my mom for sure. Music teachers I’ve had through the years. My high school choir teacher, Mr. Swann did alot for my voice. My college music proffs – Dr. Royer and Mr. Parker were huge as well....

Then as far as “influences” in the big scope of things, I’d have to say Mishka, Brad Nowell, Dennis Brown, Slightly Stoopid, Johnny Cash, and Miles Davis to name a few.....


Have you been in any bands before going solo? Oh yeah. Got my first good experience in high school – playing with my homies in a band called Beta Caroteen. This was in Watertown, SD. As far as a high school garage/grunge/punk band, we were pretty good. It was a vital step in my music “milestones”....
In college then, my bro Tony Speiser (who I played in Beta Caroteen with) and I moved to the Black Hills of South Dakota and started the MMB (mighty moose band). We were pretty darn popular in South Dakota and put out on full LP entitled “get loose with the moose”, in which is now out of print. When I moved to Wyoming to start a family and new teaching career in 2004 -- is when I went solo. Since then, I’ve sat in with bands here and there, played with a 2 piece acoustic rock band, but most significantly – I’ve played guitar, sang, and tooted my trumpet on countless shows and cities with my good bros SLAUGHTERHOUSE ROOTZ out of Denver, CO. So much fun and it gives me the “full band” adrenaline that a person digs ha ha..


How is it balancing being a family man and be an actively touring musician? It’s hard man, but yet it flows and fits well. First of all, you gotta have a good....I mean GREAT woman by your side. She believes in me, supports me, and allows me to tour and play lots of shows....but I still make time for the family in which is essential. Unfortunately, I’ve seen too many musicians “fall” or “get grounded” so to speak from the road because they don’t have an understanding and supportive woman by their side. You can’t be selfish, you gotta give and take a little – do the best you can to make it balance.


Whats the Wyoming music scene like and how do you fit into it? Well Wyoming itself is the smallest (population wise) state in the Country. We only have 500,000 people in the whole entire state. There really isn’t much of a scene compared to surrounding states like Colorado and Utah. For the most part, the demand for entertainment in Wyoming is Country and or Western.... Casper seems to be the hub of the state and I have done pretty dang well up there. There’s a fair scene there. Jackson Hole (ski area) is cool as well, and Laramie (U of Wyoming) is pretty good.....I’d have to say for a “cowboy state”, Casper probably holds it down the best.

How do you feel about the Reggae Punk music scene these days? I like it. But it’s starting to get kinda saturated with the same ol’ stuff, generic stuff if ya get my drift. A lot of it sounds the same, a lot of us have talked about this particular issue. Overall though, more exposure is good exposure so I can’t complain.....


Whats been some of your most memorible times on the road and jamming? I’ve had some killer times traveling/playing with Slaughterhouse Rootz. Heck, we just played a couple of weeks ago in Minneapolis on the Slightly Stoopid bill w/ Jon Wayne and the Pain as well as the Collie Buddz. That was sick. Tours to California have been great, love heading that way. I’ve made 6 tours in the past 4 years and they’ve always been great. Great friends out that way. Going back to South Dakota (my old stomping grounds) is always crazy. Great crowds, good friends and peeps gettin’ down to the Wyoming Reggae ha ha...


Who do you like to share the stage with the most? Jon Wayne and the Pain really hit me with a good vibe when I recently hooked up with them in Denver. Since then, I’ve played another show with them. They are awesome. Playing with SHR on the Mishka Bill was a dream come true. I’m a huge Mishka fan/influence as I mentioned earlier. Of course Slaughterhouse Rootz is always exciting to play with. Mike Pinto, Ballyhoo, and B-Foundation, Fayuca, Tatanka are sick to share the stage with. Great fellas, great musicians, real peeps, so rad.

Check out his myspace at


No comments:

Post a Comment