Saturday, August 21, 2010

On The Spot Interview: Catfish Mustache

My chat interview with Tania the frontwoman of Catfish Mustache. Straight outta Gilbert, Arizona they have an unique sound thats worth checking out.


Me- So Tania how did you get your start in music?

Tania- well, i played the alto sax in 6th grade... and later in junior high, i discovered hip hop and started rapping. my parents always had a massive music collection, music was always playing somewhere in my house growing up.

Me- how did Catfish get its start?

Tania- Eric (the guitarist) was in a different band and they had a show booked... a week before the show, his singer cancelled... Eric didn't want to leave the club with an empty slot, so he asked me to rap and asked his cousin Brandon to play drums we put together about 5 songs that week and played the show. That was also my first time singing in front of a large group of people, i never knew i had it in me.

Me- who influences your music past and present?

Tania- who doesn't? I love all types of music from Sam Cooke to the Roots to System of a Down. I just wrote a song that was sortof influenced by a combination of the Temptations and the Abbot Kinney Lighthouse choir (gospel choir). I listen to music in different phases... one week soul and funk, next week I'll be playin the Toadies. All of it inspires and influences me.

Me- i hear that you gotta switch it up. Do you have any recordings out? Are you working on a record?

Tania- we are almost finished recording our first cd. it's been a long and educational process. we're hoping to have it out by the end of next month

Me- Whats it like being a female singer in a flood of mostly male frontmans?

Tania- i like the fact that it makes me stand out a little, but it's frustrating bcuz i don't always get taken seriously. Some people think it's just a gimmick ... until they hear us play and can see that it's legit

Me- What venue do you like to play the most?

Tania- i really like the vibe at the Sail Inn

Me- What other hobbys do you have other than music?

Tania- sewing and arts and crafts type stuff... i'm workin on making a gang of wallets and purses to be sold at our shows i like to cook too. i'm pretty good in the kitchen if i do say so myself

Me- what is your favorite thing to cook?

Tania- hmmm... that's a good question... i make some pretty amazing fish tacos... you would think i was mexican. i make the salsa, cabbage slaw, get that queso fresco in there. it's a thing of beauty i've also recently started to perfect the art of smoking ribs it's not easy... u gotta keep the temp just right for so long. low and slow all day

Me- dry rub or marinade?

Tania- dry rub for sure... but i like to put a little sauce on at the very end. i leave it up to people eating to put more sauce on if they want

Me- if your drinking what are you drinking?

Tania- pyrat rum is delicious and smooth i like filthy vodka martinis sometimes too
mmmm... all that olive juice

Me- whats your guys next move?

Tania- touring. i can't wait to get on the road

Me- where you guys heading too?

Tania- nowhere officially yet, but i'd like to play around the southwest this winter... maybe work our way up the west coast a little

Tania- how did u hear about us?

Me- I think i saw you guys on an site or something my memorys a bit of a blur

Tania- did u just see me talkin trash about "white boys singin reggae"

Me- that is what reminded me to interview you, I have a list of people I think that would surprise most

Me- so whats your beef with white boys singing reggae?

Tania- i don't really have one. I wrote that song about so many copycat bands out there. It seems like so many bands out there are just trying too hard to sound like Sublime or Dirtyheads...
... what happens then, is we have all these bands that sound exactly the fucking same.

Me- My outlook is theres alot of bands that I don't like for all kinds of reasons. Theres alot of crap coming out of the reggae punk community. I like to listen to and promote what I dig. Let people follow and jam to what they like.

Tania- i like variety in music. when i go to see a live show, i want to see who the musicians are in a way. i don't just want to see who influences them. Ya know what i mean?

Me- Anything you want to say to your peoples/fans out there?

Tania- ummm... keep on the look out for our cd release! tell your friends! spread the music

Check out their myspace at

1 comment:

  1. a little unknown about me at catfish mustache shows...i get a chub through the entire set...


    peace
    BONG LEACH

    ReplyDelete