Tuesday, September 7, 2010

3RD Alley's New Album News: Total Access Studios Mixing Sessions

Total Access Studios – Redondo Beach, CA (9-6-10)

From Zack of 3RD Alley

We rolled in around 11am greeted by Adam Arnold (co-producer/engineer) and jumped right into mixing “medicated” which is the song we’ve all kind of considered being a “single.” It started off as a really bum out song, really dark, so I through in some lemon pepper for some zing and some Forman and it’s now a beguilingly happy jam. While mixing I’d ask “how does it sound?” and I’d hear back “sounds good” so then I’d say “okay then we gotta keep going, we’re not going for ‘good.’” We gave it a car test after we all thought it sounded “bangin’” as opposed to good and got a nice seat massage from jack’s woofers in his g-wagon. It seemed like we could just keep going but just said, “boom, we’re done, print it” which is always relieving and scary at the same time, cause that’s it. Done. Lunch time (pizza as always, they deliver, oh yeah, we had lettuce wraps for breakfast made of some frozen oriental dinners and fresh iceburg lettuce)

We then moved into “bloodshot eyes” which ended up finishing late late that night, so we had some blurry vision goin on at the end, but otherwise the same story as the previous song is applicable here. As long as there are goosebumps involved at some point, I’m stoked. It’s like studying for a test really well and then you finish your test and you feel like, I should do something more, reread it, double check my . . . . aah fuck it, i’m done.

We’re planning on releasing the 2 songs as a double single while we finish up the rest of the album which is already tracked, fyi. We just figured it would be best to get something out sooner by doing it this way. Plus, albums seem to be a bit obsolete these days, it’s all about the individual songs. We wanna feel like each song we put out is capable of being received by itself. Like in the beatles/elvis eras.

I don’t wanna talk it up like it’s the best thing ever, I’m not Brandon Flowers and I know everyone’s a bit biased when it’s so fresh, but I think these songs are the best I’ve done. This album is going vibe more like “After School Special” than the “Shiny Shady People.” It’s going to be called when it’s all said and done, “shoulda, woulda, coulda.” And it’s a complete coincidence that all 3 3rd Alley albums have 3 words in the title. Maybe satan has his hand in the works?

Drawing by Zack during the mixing session




Check out some 3RD Alley songs right here

2 comments:

  1. I almost creamed mis pantelones when I heard the tracks in my room the following day. This might be the best I've heard so for. The fact that I'm Mexican doesn't count for much, but these songs right here are gonna be the shit for years to cum! true story! It's no KILLERS or 29seconds to Cock'Mars. It's better! or ur mom sucks toes!
    JoeMama out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, a side note, the brandon flowers reference comes from a little blurp in maxim magazine referring to his new solo record "flamingo" where they asked him, "What will the haters have to say (about his new record) and responded "there will be no haters of flamingo." I wanted to vomit. He also said at one point "Our album is up there with Nevermind, Joshua Tree . . . it may sound cocky, but i'm just being realistic" (or something like that) what a douche! ~ zack

    ReplyDelete